Why We Get Fat Is Not Always Our Fault
Obesity has become a major problem worldwide. The love handles, overhanging stomachs, wide butts and heavy thighs are not attractive and are health risks as well. Obesity causes heart problems, diabetes, and high blood pressure. Then there are the emotional issues which overweight people must contend with such as depression and low self-esteem. There are many reasons why we should want to gain control over how much we weigh. However, before jumping in feet first to a diet and exercise plan, you need to read this article which contains information on the reasons for why we get fat.
The first, and most obvious, reason why there are so many people who struggle with their weight is poor dietary habits. It is a standing rule that counting calories is helpful in losing weight. However, with today’s hectic lifestyles, many find that eating fast foods is much easier and these are much higher in calories than fresh cooked meals from your own kitchen. Eating large portions of heavy meals can also increase your weight. If you modify your eating habits, then you will notice that you are losing weight. Below, you will find ways to do this.
- Substitute junks foods for healthier ones. This sounds complicated but a rule of thumb to remember is to stay away from white flour products such as breads and switch to brown or red rice instead of white. Instead of stopping by fast food places for your lunch, brown bag it with healthy salads and fruits.
- Eat smaller meals during the day. Five or six light nutritious meals and snacks instead of the traditional 3 heavy meals each day will increase your energy and make you feel fuller.
- Be sure to include all of the food groups in your meals. High fiber foods and those with high protein content are especially important to build strong muscles. Foods containing fats are also important but should be limited.
Another prime reason why we get fat is the current trend towards a sedentary lifestyle. In this high tech age, many careers are desk jobs where the worker sits for hours each day. There is no way for the employees who hold such jobs to burn their calories. However, there are ways for even these souls to get a little exercise.
- Use the stairways instead of taking the elevator. This will give your heart a good workout and will also tighten leg muscles.
- If going to a gym is not an feasible option, then start your own exercise routine such as walking, jogging, or running. The point is to burn calories and get the blood circulating.
Metabolism is also a key reason as to why we get fat. This is the actual process by which the body burns fat. Slow metabolism can be caused by genetics, but can also be a result of lifestyle and food choices as well.